Black Friday – What’s Next?

Another Thanksgiving day has come and gone, completely overshadowed by the day we’ve come to know as Black Friday. Touted as the busiest shopping day of the year, the day when retailers finally start to operate in the black and the beginning of the Christmas season, who can resist the opportunity? I’ve participated in the craziness many times.

English: DC USA, Target, Black Friday
Target, Black Friday (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

In order to keep up with the competition and attract their share of customers, stores open their doors earlier every year. Last year, several retailers opened at midnight. This year, some opened the evening of Thanksgiving and stayed open all night.

How will they top that next year? Maybe we’ll all be expected to head out to the stores as soon as the turkey is put away. Or maybe we could start on Wednesday and make it a five-day weekend. Don’t laugh – marketing people across the country are already addressing this question.

After all, it’s nothing to get up at the crack of dawn, stand in line with a thousand other folks for a supply of two hundred big screen TVs and go ballistic when the guy in front of us gets the last one. That’s what Black Friday is all about, right? What’s next?

A Christmas tree inside a home.

I didn’t go shopping on Black Friday this year, and I didn’t miss it. And you – Mr. Retailer – who maybe didn’t make it into the black because I stayed home – you’ll have another opportunity. I’ll be out there sometime before Christmas but, just so you know, if I can’t find a decent price on that big screen TV or whatever I’m looking for, I’ll be coming home without it.

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend in spite of – or maybe because of Black Friday. Did anyone have an uplifting Black Friday shopping experience?

Enhanced by Zemanta
This entry was posted in Cliches and other forbidden fruit and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Black Friday – What’s Next?

1. Dorothy says:

I couldn’t believe that Target and K Mart here in our town were open at 7 am on THANKSGIVING!!! What about their employees???? I really do think this is going to backfire on the merchants. Our church (and I’m sure there are many others) is sponsoring a program called Advent Conspiracy which is a movement designed to help us all slow down and experience a Christmas worth remembering without the stress and the debt. It’s advertised as ‘turning Christmas upside down’. Look at all the gift catalogs that come now to gift a donation to good causes like clean water, helping homeless animals, buying farm animals for poor people. I love shopping as well as the next person (and did venture out on Black Friday to have lunch with friends), but I think the retail people are shooting themselves in the foot by starting the season earlier and earalier. Maybe not in my lifetime–but kids being raised now are being exposed to some different ideas about the holiday. And THEY are the future.

2. Dixie Brown says:

I’d like to think someday we’ll all come to our senses, but it sure seems like the world just keeps getting crazier. Nonetheless, the program you describe is a step in the right direction. Kudos to them. And thanks for coming by to let us know about it. Happy holidays, Dorothy!

3. Paty Jager says:

I went once to Black Friday. My oldest daughter insisted we had to try it. I hated the crowds, the greediness. I now stay home all of the week. But I’ll be out finishing up my Christmas shopping this week.

4. Dixie Brown says:

Oh…lucky you! I haven’t even started mine. I’ll probably be out there on Christmas Eve which is equally as frustrating! Thanks for your comment, Paty.

5. Sharon says:

Hi Dixie,
    My uplifting experience on Black Friday was only so because I didn’t participate. I honestly cannot understand why anybody would go out in that craziness. On the other hand, the next day was “Small Business Saturday” and I went to my quaint downtown and shopped at local merchants, had lunch and enjoyed an outing with my family. I felt good about putting my

dollars to the businesses that line our Main Street and give it character rather than the mall.
    I enjoyed your post and glad to know I’m not the only one whose wondering when the madness over black friday will end.
    Sharon

6. Dixie Brown says:

Good for you, Sharon. We should all support the small, quaint shops that stand out in our communities. Thanks for stopping by!

7. Karissa Dishon says:

I do participate in Black Friday sales, and it is always an uplifting experience.

I venture out at 5 AM each year with a group of dedicated volunteers and youth to help shop the sock sale (and various other gifts) at Fred Meyer for the local food and toy drive. In Canby, the Kiwanis group does a food basket and toy drive for local (Canby School District only) families in need. By shopping at this crazy hour we are able to stretch the donated money even further which in turn allows us to provide to more families.

I do agree that the maddness of this sale continues to grow each year, and I do think it distracts some from celebrating Thanksgiving. In this one little niche however, it allows me to show just how thankful I am, and helps me spread cheer to those with less to be thankful for.

KD

8. Dixie Brown says:

I have to admit I saw your picture of shopping on Black Friday and it did look like you were having fun. I’ll have to tag along with you some year and you can show me how it’s done. It’s a good thing you’re doing and it’s good you can put up with a little craziness to make it happen. Good job!

9. Candi Bothum says:

Shopping all by itself tends to turn my stomach…if it’s not at Fred Meyer or Central Oregon Ranch Supply, what could you possibly need? As you know I have also ventured out on this day to be with friends who enjoy the experience. I don’t expect it to ever happen again….as for the stores, they really should give their employees an opportunity to celebrate the season as well…there are plenty of expanded hours before Christmas without having to open at 10 pm on Thanksgiving….If they all would just get together and decide NOT to do it….I suppose that is against some code of business ethics like price fixing or something….GRR! Good post :)

10. Dixie Brown says:

I agree, although you probably should never say “never”! Thanks, Candi!

11. Kim Rickman says:

My 13 year old daughter and I had a great Black Friday. We went shopping for Christmas and the day included fun, shopping and good lessons on buying what you can afford. That not every sale is a deal and you can walk out of the store with nothing and know that you made a good choice. “Never buy on credit” and “only get what you can afford”, doesn’t mean you can not have fun. We did come out with some great deals for christmas at Kohls and even earned $30 Kohls cash. My 9 year old son got to use the Kohls cash to buy gifts for his sister and grandparents. So all in all Black Friday was a good experience for us. Even if there was lots of people, everyone seemed friendly. I would say the most disappoint store for black friday was “Coastal Farm”. Maybe better next year.

12. Dixie Brown says:

That sounds like a truly uplifting time and a learning experience for your children. Kudos to you! And thanks for stopping by, Kim.

Comments are closed.